The Psycho Knife is a Hardmode, post-Plantera melee weapon that has a 2.5% / 3.75% (1/40 / 3/80) chance to be dropped by the Psycho during the Solar Eclipse event. When holding the Psycho Knife and standing still, the player will quickly enter stealth mode, causing them to turn almost completely transparent, move much slower, and no longer be targeted by enemies.
Stealth mode is engaged gradually over the course of about one second, during which the weapon’s stats are steadily boosted up to the following values:
- Damage +300%: 280 (from 70)
- Critical chance +30: 34% (from 4%)
- Knockback +100%: 7 “Strong” (from 3.5 “Weak”)
Stealth mode is disengaged when successfully attacking an enemy or when switching to a different weapon. Swinging the weapon alone does not cancel stealth, nor does walking or flying. Standing still again afterward re-engages it. Moving or swinging the weapon during the one-second transition period, however, will cancel stealth mode.
Its best Modifier is Legendary.
- The stealth mode that is activated by the Psycho Knife is similar to that of the special ability of Shroomite armor.
- Mount speed is unaffected by the stealth mode slowdown.
- Wings’ vertical flight speed is not affected, but horizontal flight speed is slowed to the same rate as walking.
- The dash from the Solar Flare armor and the Shield of Cthulhu also gain the stealth mode damage boost.
- Other players can see a stealthed player who is using the Psycho Knife if they are missing health, as the health bar will be shown above their head.
- Aggro-increasing accessories like the Flesh Knuckles or late game tank armor will still cause enemies to target the player, even in stealth mode.
- All other melee weapons are affected by the increased stats from stealth mode, however if you attempt to switch weapons the stealth will disappear.
- Melee weapon projectile stats from any weapon will be boosted during stealth, which is useful for large amounts of enemies.
- Using Meowmere and switching to Psycho Knife before the projectile hits will result in extreme damage to enemies hit during stealth.