The Portal Gun is a Hardmode, post-Moon Lord item. It is always dropped by the Moon Lord. It launches projectiles capable of creating up to two portals (one via LMB, the other via RMB) upon impact with blocks. These two portals are linked; any player that touches one will be instantly transported to the other one, without losing momentum.
While selected, the Portal Gun will alter the player’s physics: maximum fall speed * 3.5 (from 51MPH to 179MPH) and horizontal momentum/inertia is kept while in the air. This effect is also applied if the last entity that affected the player’s fall was a portal.
- Portals can only be used to transport players and NPCs. Enemies and projectiles do not interact with portals in any way. The Skeleton Merchant cannot be teleported.
- The Portal Gun has a range of 1400-1500 blocks.
- Portals can face up or down, left or right, or diagonal in any direction.
- If the player attempts to use the Portal Gun with an object, such as a chest, they will fire a second portal slightly before opening the chest, thus rendering them unable to move any items and ruining their portal placement at the same time.
- Despite being a tool, the Portal Gun cannot be placed on a weapon rack.
- In multiplayer, all players will have different portal colors.
- The Portal Gun alone does not block fall damage, but traveling through a portal will reset fall damage taken.
- Teleporting quickly shifts the viewpoint instead of instantly setting it to the destination point if the two portals are within viewable distance of each other.
- Portals close if the player gets around 1600 feet away from them, dies, or leaves the world.
- A mounted player cannot travel through a portal.
- The increased fall speed does not work while riding a mount.
- The effects of touching a block will occur before the player enters a portal. A portal placed on damaging blocks will harm the player, and one placed on Pink Slime Blocks will cause a player to bounce, slowing their fall speed.
- If a player were to use the portal gun at the top of their world they can use the incredible falling speed combined with decent wings to remain at a stable altitude while keeping a horizontal speed of 179 mph. This can then be used to cross the map very quickly.
- If a player shoots both portals at the same location, the portals have no effect and the player walks on the blocks as if the portals are not there.